Thursday, June 16, 2011

True Grit

Let's not mention the hockey game, okay? Jesus...


I just did an interview for David Wiseheart's site, Kindle Author. One of his questions was "What one book do you wish you had written?" That took some head-scratching. There's lots of books I've loved in the last year or so but are there any I wish I had written? No, not really. I'll often be wowed by the prowess of other writers but I'm not sure if I've ever wished I had written a certain book. But there have been books that blow me away, the ones that linger in your head long after you've read them. The ones you want to go back and read a second time or third time.

Within the last year, that book has been True Grit by Charles Portis. A year ago, I didn't even know this was a book. I just thought it was an old John Wayne movie until the Cohen Brothers released their version and read about how they had gone back to the book, not the movie.

True Grit is an amazing, awe-inspiring and hilarious book. One page in and you know you're in the hands of a master who will knock your socks off. The plot is a simple revenge story, the narrative a straight line of characters pursuing a goal with stubborn tenacity. But the way the story is told, through the eyes of 14 year old Maddy Ross, is sublime. Maddy is stubborn, tenacious, wrathful and unintentionally funny dispensing good Christian advice or proper etiquette in her quest to shoot down the scum who killed her father.She's such a pill. When pitted against the flinty Rooster Cogburn, she shines.


The story is a raucous adventure, wild west shoot out and rumination on revenge and obsession.

No comments:

Post a Comment